Penny A. Zeller's Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lessons from Our Savior

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6 (NIV)

Happy Easter! As I reflect on this day, I remember something I thought it appropriate to share with you - something important my Savior taught me several years ago...

I was saved at age 16 at a church camp near Sun Valley, Idaho. Before knowing Christ and even for a few years after, I didn't fully understand the concept of just what He had done for me on the cross and what forgiveness meant. I had a skewed thought that each Easter, I would pick someone to forgive - someone who had hurt me deeply - someone who I just hadn't been able to forgive prior to this time. Yes, on Easter, I would truly forgive that person once and for all. I began this odd tradition at about age 14 and continued on until I was about 22. During that time, I forgave the friend in high school who betrayed me in a way I'd never known before...and have never known since. I forgave the boyfriend who broke my heart; I forgave the relative who'd spoken harsh words...I forgave others as well - one per year - on Easter.

One day, I came to the realization of how wrong this concept was. For one thing, I'm not only to forgive on Easter. I shudder at the thought that God would forgive me for my sins only one day a year. Secondly, when Jesus hung on that cross for my sins, He forgave them all and completely - the past sins, the present sins, and the future sins. I needed to forgive people in the same way. Not only did I need to forgive them once, but I needed to forgive as I am instructed in Matthew 18:22, seventy times seven times. That's a lot of forgiveness!

Thirdly, I realized that if I refused to forgive others, God wouldn't forgive me. He's not kidding when He says in Matthew 6:15, But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Yikes! I need forgiveness and yet, I hadn't been willing in those years to forgive others willingly, except on one day a year. And then, it was only one hand-picked fortunate person each year that would receive my forgiveness. Those who didn't qualify for whatever reason had to wait until next year. That's a lot of bitterness and a lot of grudge-holding!

Fourthly, we are told in Matthew 18:35, we must forgive people from our heart. Not just a shallow forgiveness, not just one to appease a guilty conscience, but real forgiveness from the heart. God knows when our forgiveness is genuine. He knows our hearts. He knows that when we forgive others, it frees us, just as when He forgives us, it cleanses us and wipes the slate clean.

Yet, it's difficult to forgive at times. I know this full well as I have experienced a lot of hurt in my life. Some folks cause us so much pain and sorrow that forgiveness can't possibly enter the equation. Or can it? Yes, with our Lord's help, we can forgive and we must. On bended knee, I asked the Lord to help me forgive all those who had sinned against me - everyone. And it wasn't on Easter that I prayed this prayer - as a matter of fact it wasn't even close to Easter. God taught me so many important things about forgiveness after that prayer.

Many years have passed since I was 22 and learned that important lesson about forgiveness. I praise the Lord that He doesn't try to place forgiveness in a box or choose only one person to forgive each year. I praise Him that He doesn't pick only one of my sins to forgive and the rest are left outstanding. Thank you, Jesus, for dying for me that all my sins are forgiven. And thank You, Jesus that You have helped me understand the real meaning behind forgiveness - and that You have enabled me to forgive all at all times of the year.

May you all have a blessed Easter as you reflect on the real meaning behind this holiday - a meaning that should be celebrated all year long, not just one day a year.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home