Penny A. Zeller's Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

Mom Brain Overload

Last week was an especially hectic week. Not that most of my weeks are calm and peaceful, but this past week included extra duties, ailing extended family members, deadlines, and an added dose of stress. Thankfully I continue to draw upon that verse in the Bible that says I can do anything through Christ who gives me strength (even get through crazily hectic weeks!!!)

As I headed out the door to pick my girls up from school, I remembered at the last minute that they had a basketball game right after school. As such, they wouldn't be able to come home and get changed before the game. So I grabbed their jerseys and sweatpants. Glancing at the shoe holder by the front door, I remembered I also needed to take them their basketball shoes. I grabbed Doodle's basketball shoes then reached for Sunshine's shoes. Finally, with a full armload, I climbed in our SUV feeling rather proud of myself that I had actually remembered the basketball game considering the type of week it had been and it was only Tuesday.

I reached the school and greeted my girls before handing them their basketball gear. "We have about five minutes, girls, before we have to be at the game," I said.

Sunshine took her jersey and sweatpants and nodded. When I handed her her basketball shoes, she gasped in horror. "Mom! These are TWO different shoes!!!"

I looked down at the mismatched shoes she held in her hands. One was a basketball shoe while the other was a school shoe. I saw the clock and knew there was no way we had time to go all the way back home and exchange the shoes. I noted that thankfully the shoes were both the same height so there would be no sprained ankles. "Sunshine, can you just wear those? We don't have time to go home first. If we do, we'll be late."

Sunshine's face held a look of terror before she finally responded, "Ok, Mom." If there is one thing that is Sunshine's pet peeve, it's that she HATES to be late. She's a very punctual little girl, which is helpful in a family full of last-minute unpunctuals.

"Thank goodness I didn't grab one of Dad's and one of yours," I said laughing, always trying to keep a positive outlook on things.

Sunshine wasn't convinced, but gracefully took the shoes and began to put them on. Although I was thankful I'd brought the right shoes for Doodle, I still felt bad about Sunshine having to wear two different ones. I saw one of my dear friends in the school hallway and explained the situation to her.

"Don't feel too bad," she told me. "I forgot to bring Pickles our cat for show and tell today." Her son was crying and she felt so bad over her forgotten task.

"I think our mom brains are just on overload," I told her. I thought to myself the direness of her situation. Two unmatching shoes - pardonable. Forgetting Pickles for show and tell - unforgivable! "I don't think I can even get one more detail into this crowded brain of mine," I continued.

She nodded in agreement and promised to bring Pickles for the next show and tell as she wiped the tears from her precious son's eyes.

I'm always amazed that we moms get as much accomplished as we do. I always amazed we are actually functioning at all with all that we have on our minds. I always thank God we manage to get out of the door and to school each morning as that in itself is a feat. I suppose there's a reason why I take great pride in to-do lists and even more pride in getting to cross off an accomplished task.

My next book with Beacon Hill Press is written especially for moms and discusses things like brain overload and disorganization. How could I write such a book? I've been there and I'm still there. I've forgotten to put the lunch meat on my husband's sandwiches before. I've forgotten to drop off the overdue books at the library. I've forgotten to pay a bill. Yep, I've forgotten many tasks, but when I think about all that I have actually remembered to do in my hectic life, I'm amazed and thankful. Now if I can just remember to wear matching shoes myself...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good content. Just wanted to add some buying advice for those on a budget.

There is a huge market for sports shoes but what’s significant is the genuineness of the shoes we intend to buy. Most often we think that a pair of authentic shoes would cost us big money and so we turn to fake shoes which are available at very low prices not realizing the consequences of wearing them in the long run.

However, you will be happy to know that you can still get genuine sports shoes at cheap prices. The only thing that we require is a little bit of research to know which stores stock original stuff and offer good discounts that make genuine shoes affordable and fit our budget. So spend sometime and research online to find where you can shop around, how you can shop and when is the best time to shop.

May 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home